When your considering building a new Deck or rebuilding an old one. It is important that you choose a good quality decking board. The reason you want to choose a good quality Decking board is so you won’t have to replace them until the full life of the deck has run its course. Due to the Brisbane climate being very harsh, the decking boards are in direct contact with the sun need to be of best quality to withstand the elements.
What type of decking boards are available on the market
- Treated Pine decking boards are a very soft decking board that we don’t recommend to be used as they are not designed to withstand and weather. You will replace these boards within a 5 year period as they are of very poor quality.
- Merbau Decking Boards are of very good quality and come from the Indonesian rainforest that will withstand a very high humidity as they come from a similar climate. Brisbane’s climate can be very humid and will suit this type of decking board.
- Composite decking boards are of very good quality and Amazing Decks highly recommend the use of composite decking boards.
- There are a couple types of decking board on the market. One of them being Futurewood is made from a combination of wood fibres and plastics which comes with a 10 year warranty. The other type of composite decking board is a 100% PVC decking board that looks like a timber decking board. This type of decking board comes with a 20 year warranty.
- One of the benefits from using a composite decking board is that they are scratch free and have minimal fading abilities. Another benefit is that these decking boards are secret fixed and there are no issues with swelling, twisting and turning. Weather is not an issue for composite decking boards and there is no need for oiling or staining whatsoever
Amazing Decks always recommend that any timber decking boards be finished off and sealed. The process is to leave the decking boards to bleed the tannins out of the timber for a period of 6 weeks before applying the primer and 3 top coats. If the decking boards are left too long then the decking boards can turn grey and look old and deteriorated. It is important to re-apply one or two coats every year to prolong the life of the timber decking board.
Amazing Decks Brisbane will provide you with the best advice on which decking board you should use for your particular deck whether it’s open to the elements, covered with a roof or even a simple pool deck which needs a lot of care taken in preserving the timber.